We thank you for your service. These simple words will be expressed with sincerity in November during the many Veterans Day programs sponsored around the United States.
In 1918, an armistice was signed between Germany and the Allied powers which brought World War I to a close. This document was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of that year. November 11, 1919, was proclaimed as Armistice Day in the United States for citizens to remember the sacrifices that men and women made during World War I. In 1954, November 11 became known as Veterans Day to honor veterans of all U. S. wars, conflicts, and active duty services. President Richard Nixon, in 1971, declared it a federal holiday on the second Monday in November.
Throughout the country, veterans will be honored on this special day. Schools will hold assemblies, parades will be held in honor of these special men and women, and they will be served breakfast and lunch by many organizations.
The Lafourche Parish Public Libraries will honor their veterans in various ways:
- Monday through Saturday, November 3-8, all day, the Thibodaux Branch would like patrons to come in and create a memento to honor our veterans. Bring your ideas and create a drawing, letter, slogan, card, or other memento. All supplies will be provided. These mementos will be used to honor veterans at their November 11 program.
- Friday, November 7 at 9:30 am the Larose Branch will host a “Salute Our Veterans” reception and display. All veterans and the public are invited to view a special display and enjoy refreshments at a reception held to thank the men and women who served our country and the ones still serving today.
- Monday, November 10 at 11 am the Bayou Blue Branch will honor veterans past and present at a program. This program is open to the public and refreshments will be served.
- Tuesday, November 11 from 9:30 to 11 am the Thibodaux Branch will host a “Veterans Day Breakfast.”
- Tuesday, November 11 at 1 pm the Lockport Branch will honor veterans with their “Veterans Day Social.” All veterans are invited to attend. The social will consist of a welcome from Mayor Paul Champagne, introduction of the veterans attending, viewing of the displays of area veterans, and refreshments.
- Tuesday, November 11 at 3:30 pm until, the Choctaw Branch will host a “Veterans Day Refreshments” social for area veterans.
- Tuesday, November 11, all day, the Golden Meadow Branch will host a “Veterans Appreciation Day” social with refreshments and cookies provided.
- Tuesday, November 11, all day, the South Lafourche Branch will host a social with refreshments, coffee, and pastries.
- Friday, November 14 at 10:30 am the Raceland Branch will host a “Veterans Day Social” with refreshments.
Throughout the month of November, parish libraries will have displays consisting of photographs, uniforms, and memorabilia of veterans. The most extensive of these displays is at the South Lafourche Branch. Their display consists of items from the U. S. Civil War to present time. The parish libraries welcome any additional veterans photos to add to their displays.
Help make this Veterans Day a special one by attending one of the many programs hosted by the Lafourche Parish Public Libraries. We thank all of the men and women who have served their country and helped to keep it free.
Post by Charlotte, Area Librarian